Completing your Education or Training
When you have a baby, going to school, a training course or college can be very hard work and expensive. But if you who succeed in finishing your education or training you will be in a better position to get work you like and to provide for yourself and your child.
The Government has some schemes to support  parents who are still in education or training or who wish to return. 
Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to some help.

Home Tuition
If you are still in secondary school, you may be entitled to a Home Tuition Grant for Maternity Related Absences. This entitles you to 90 hours of Home Tuition over a 6 month period. The tuition may be before or after the birth of your baby.

Contact : Parents and Learners Unit - Home Tuition Section Department of Education & Skills Cornamaddy Athlone Co. Westmeath N37 X659
Phone: 090 648 3996

Regardless of your income, you will receive some subsidy through the National Childcare Scheme (NCS). If you are in receipt of a Social Welfare Payment, this subsidy may pay for most of your childcare costs. Click here to find out what you are entitled to.

Depending on your situation, you may be 'sponsored' and entitled to have all your childcare costs paid. This applies if, for example, you are in school and under 18 years of age.
For more information on 'sponsored' childcare places contact the NCS Sponsors Team by phone at 01 906 8535 or by email at

Search here for a list of  childcare providers near you who operate the National Childcare Scheme.

Understanding the rules and organising childcare can be difficult.
To make sure you have the most up-to-date information speak to your TPSP project worker, contact your local Childcare Committee or phone an Information Officer at Treoir 01-6700120

If you want to return to education
If you want to return to education you may be entitled to a Back to Education Allowance.

This Table from shows the conditions attached to BTEA when returning to either Second Level or Third Level Education.
Second Level Option (SLO) Third Level Option (TLO) Post Graduate Option
Aged at least 18 years Aged at least 18 years Aged at least 24 years
And have 3 months (78 days) in receipt of DEASP payment And have 9 months (234 days) in receipt of DEASP payment And have 9 months (234 days) for Higher Diploma/Postgraduate option OR
- - 12 months (312 days) in receipt of DEASP payment for the Professional Masters in Education

Submission to the Department of Further and Higher Education

Submission on the Review of the SUSI Grant

This Booklet takes you through how to recognise anxiety, understand how it affects you and find ways of coping with it. It was designed and compiled by Foróige’s Teen Parents Support Programme in Donegal with help from Sarah Barr from New Beginnings.

Download ME AND ANXIETY.PDF (1,023 Kb, 02 Mar 2022)

In the News

Guardianship of Children

Guardianship is the collection of rights and duties that a parent (or non-parent) may have in respect of a child. A guardian has a duty to maintain and properly care for the child and has the right to make decisions in the major areas of the child’s life e.g. religion, school, adoption, consent to medical treatment, passports, including decisions about taking the child out of the country, where the child lives and other matters affecting the welfare of the child. A person can apply for guardianship up until a child reaches 18 years of age.